Friday, January 06, 2006

my first meme

what were you doing 10 years ago?

i was starting the second semester of my second year of law school (in the midst of writing that law review article, in fact). thinking lots and lots about race, "property as power" and the constitution. love, love, loving it ... almost as much as i hate, hate, hated practicing law. sigh. it was an expensive little hobby, law school, but i did love it. i was considering converting to judaism, drinking a lot of high-test coffee with law school buddies i'm no longer in touch with, smoking a lot of cigarettes bummed from said buddies.

we were living in the same house, only its third owners in a century, in the midst of (still ongoing) renovations. attending monthly block club meetings with mrs. bracket, mrs. sheppard, mr. ravenell, mrs. farmer, reverand wills and so many other old-timers who have since died. we were also on our third try of home inseminations trying to get julie pregnant; trixie would be conceived the next summer. i was *very sure* that women who stayed home with their kids were sad sell-outs and that daycare was part of the feminist revolution; that no kid of mine would *ever* sleep in my bed; and that moms who breastfed for more than a year were doing it to fulfill their own needs, not their babies'. um, yeah, please pass the crow!

what were you doing 1 year ago?

almost exactly the same thing i'm doing right now! staying home with micah. taking care of baby ada from down the block, now 18 months and walking and talking up a storm. taking care of the girls next door before and after school. sitting on the board of trixie's school. very close to completing my la leche league accreditation. serving as church school superintendent. resolving to run more and eat better. trying to pull myself out of the bleak midwinter dolldrums.

five snacks I enjoy:

1. salted peanuts and raisins
2. whole wheat toast right out of the oven with butter
3. julie's homemade beer, especially the belgian tripple (is beer a snack? sure!)
4. garlic stuffed olives from dibruno's
5. marinated mozzarella balls from talluto's

five songs to which I know all the lyrics:

1. every song on abby road
2. lift every voice and sing
3. bob dylan's jack of hearts
4. abba's dancin' queen
5. every song on prince's 1999

five things I would do if I were a millionaire:

1. quit taking care of other people's kids
2. tithe (or more)
3. practice yoga several times a week
4. get regular massages
5. travel far and wide

five bad habits:

1. putting off returning phone calls
2. not dealing with paperwork right away
3. yelling at my kids
4. bragging about my kids
5. taking my grumpiness out on julie

five things I like doing:

1. running
2. spending long days at the beach with my kids
3. preparing and eating meals with friends
4. watching cop shows with julie
5. reading to trixie while taking a hot bath

five things I would never wear, buy or get new again:

1. women's jeans that aren't low riders
2. oversize t-shirts or turtlenecks
3. cheaply made shoes
4. large frame glasses
5. brief-style undies

five favorite toys:

1. internet
2. knitting needles and yarn
3. kitchenaid mixer
4. new digital camera
5. tankini from title 9

so here’s the deal: remove the blog in the top spot from the following list and bump everyone up one place. then add your blog to the bottom

moma la carter
afrindiemum
An Elephant’s Gestation
Boomerific
the wide tent

then select five people to tag:

1. mamacate
2. sara skates
3. peter's cross station
4. wet feet
5. leery polyp

1 Comments:

At January 08, 2006 12:01 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Heheheh....I did know I'd stay home with my kids, but as for having them in bed with me? And nursing them for three years? I never would have thought. I thought these things were pretty "white trash" back then. Little did I know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home