Thursday, March 09, 2006

how you know when micah is sick

first, his nose was too stuffy to nurse this morning. then he asked for a sippy of milk, which he clutched in his hand, while he lay on his belly on the kitchen floor, cheek to the cool linoleum, and drifted in and out of sleep while i made coffee, breakfast, packed trixie's lunch. then he sat almost completely still and watched babar for two hours while i cleaned the play room/study, including sorting through and filing every scrap of paper on my desk. then he fell asleep nursing, and slept for an hour and a half, and when he woke, despite my offer to take him to the pizza shop for pizza and root beer, he's now snoozing in my arms again while i type.

this all may not seem like shocking behavior to most of you, but as any of you who know micah can attest, this boy is sick! poor thing.

am i just a terrible mother for actually enjoying how docile he is when he's not feeling well? if so, well, there you have it! because let me tell you, i've gotten so much done this morning, i feel like skipping.

5 Comments:

At March 09, 2006 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That. Exactly.

How many times have I had calm and easy bedtimes, mellow tv-watching, and quiet play, only to discover a raging fever the next day.

Certain children (*cough* Henry *cough* Micah *cough*) just Do. Not. Sit. unless they are physically unable to move.

And I defy a mama of a spirited, active boy to tell you she can't see the upside.

I've been told they will, at some point, sit still. I'll believe it when I see it.

 
At March 09, 2006 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, poor baby! I have a houseful of sickies, three small boys who usually bounce of the walls spent the day lounging on the couch under blankets and/or on my lap.

 
At March 11, 2006 1:24 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

It doesn't mean you're a bad mom at all. Sometimes you have to take what quiet moments you can get!

The sickest my kids ever were was during a visit to my parents house. Which certainly wasn't the best place for them to get sick. We had mountains of laundry, from vomiting and diarhea. It was awful. The only consolation came from when we were driving from California back to Arizona where we'd flown into from Boston (we were visiting both sets of parents), they were so quiet and docile in the car. They were through with the part where they squirted various bodily liquids out, but just exhausted from being so sick. And we had such a peaceful car ride. You just have to take it....

 
At March 15, 2006 12:21 AM, Blogger L said...

I hope he's better, even though as the mom of two boys under 4 I totally understand how you were so productive when Micah sick. Hopefully it was nothing serious like the other day.

I have been visiting for a while now (pretty much since I first commented in the belated "delurking" week post) and last week I added you to my blogroll.

I had never paid attention to the excerpt from Isaiah under the blog's name - it's beautiful and fits so well with your experience! (and now I understand the blog's name as well, I can't believe I had overlooked it).

You may not read this before then, but I think I'll meet you in person on Thursday. I missed the center city LLL last week, and want to get to know a new group as well. (sorry for writing this on the comments, I couldn't find an email address in your profile)

 
At March 20, 2006 3:45 PM, Blogger Andromeda Jazmon said...

I secretly love the same thing. I hate everything else about them being sick, but I love the holding and rocking and quiet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home